Monday 26 March 2007

Playing in the snow (day 2)

if you've checked the blog since my last post you'll already have seen the photos that ray and i took on day two.

the day was another amazing day in my adventure - the snow that fell on day two lasted long enough for me to enjoy a wagon ride put on by janet and her partner richard - in quebec.......where they only speak french (well, i'm sure they speak english too if they really want to). of course, i soon exhausted ALL my french - saying bonjour to richard whereupon he immediately started to talk more to me and i had to admit that 'bonjour' was about the only word i could remember.

i'm sure there were many jokes about the aussie girl behind my back, and in front of me, particularly since ray told them about my amazement with the big fires they had in new york (well, it only took me about 30 minutes to realise that in early spring the trees DON'T have leaves anyway and looking like they've been burnt is NORMAL and not the result of bushfires :) )

but i didn't mind since i was having so much fun.

then we went to the sugar bush. this is where i got to eat what i believe is staple french-canadian food - maple syrup freshly 'distilled' (not sure this is what they call it) and cooled off in the snow......as well as a lunch that consisted of ham, bacon, pancakes, eggs, beans (better than the tinned variety that's for sure), pea soup, bread, and of course MAPLE SYRUP poured liberally over the top of everything.....followed by this absolutely yummy sugar pie - bit like caramel pie but made with maple syrup. now where to get the recipe?????

then home again to the sad news that the thaw had set in and the ski trip was off. ah well, can't have it all i spose. and i'm sure most ottawans are just dying to have spring properly start.

and i do have the hockey game to look forward to...........:)

see you next time.

i am have an amazing, awesome, wonderful time.......

5 comments:

Caroline Hawkridge said...

Pics are great, Kerrie, and you certainly look like you are having fun! Loved you in the big coat and your 6 cm snowman :) Bet they don't have too many wombat woollies in Ottawa though reckon you could start a trend, hey?

Did have to laugh about the fires in NY but then your Mum also had a similar lapse on the way home from the airport one March when she thought that all our (Winter) trees were dead. And imagine how strange it was for me to see your trees which WERE burnt when I was over in August. Except that I remember scenes like that from my African childhood only they weren't gum trees... and remember how amazed I was to see my first kangaroo! So enjoy being a grockle (as tourists are called in Yorkshire).

Love, Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerrie

Just saw your pics. Knew you'd find a bike somewhere (even if it is a pocket bike).

Bring it home for the next ride. You might find it has a lower centre of gravity then the virago and maybe even a longer fuel range...lol!

kezza01 said...

too late mutts. someone else bought it i reckon. ah well. there'll be another one.........

Anonymous said...

Really surprised you had spent so much time 'shopping' - no excuse now, you will need to be patient at home too. The photos of sleigh ride and snow made me very envious especially as it is till HOT here - I did love the dogs .... sounds as if Ray and Lily have given you a great time and lots of new adventures - well that part of joourney almost over will be sad to leave it - but another lot of adventures looming - even if different have fun and enjoy. All Ok at home (I think), at least I have not heard otherwise and sure I would have. T, M & D came for diner last Saturday eve and are coming again on Friday M from school, will meet him at train station, other 2 whenever.
Enjoy .... love Mum

Anonymous said...

Hey there sweetie.
looks like you are having a grand old time OS.
Your photos are great- i am sooo jealous.
Can't wait to see you home.
Stay safe
Black Magic